Thursday, June 14, 2007

The real first post

First let me describe to you how incredibly sweet this is. We have finagled our way into being able to use both Internet-ready computers in the same room. It is, in a word, fantastic. So two guys, two computers, two simultaneous posts or something like that. Ballin.

I think I'm supposed to first talk about all the other areas Eddie didn't hit upon before I actually go and do, you know, real blog things. What he described previously (minus the Trading Post) is what is referred to as 'program.' The majority of the staff works on Program. But. There is another world. This is the world of Service. The domain I now call home.
Service has a lot fewer disciplines than Program does. They are

Service Crew: Ice Pull, Meal Serving, QM, all other assigned duties.
Traditionally, Service Crew is a team of about five guys, lead by the aptly named Service Crew Leader. Unfortunately, summer 2007 is one characterized by staff shortages, so our crew is a Service Crew Leader and his one staff member. They spend a lot of time issuing gear in the Quartermaster (QM), making ice for general use, and being underappreciated.

Commissioners: Schmoozing, Being Exhausted, etc
The glue/lifeblood/essence of camp. Without commissioners, nothing gets done. They divide their time between talking to adult leaders to ensure that their week is going smoothly, dealing with the needs of staff members and campers, and dealing with any unforeseen problems that arise (plumbing explosion, brush to clear, no shower curtains). There are pretty much two of us. We need about four to operate well. Awesome! In the perfect world, all commissioners have vehicles. We don't.

Rangers: Things nobody else is allowed to do
Rangers are on a whole separate plane of existence from everyone else. Many of them work for the camp full-time (while the rest of us are seasonal). They do the stuff nobody can--run chainsaws, fix pipes, build showers. Also are allowed to be jerks because they're so much higher up than everyone else. All rangers have vehicles. Lucky.

One last big point of clarification. The big name of the camp El Rancho Cima. Cima operates three camps: Cockrell River Camp (CRC), Walter Scout Ranch Horseshoe Bend (HB), and Hammond Scout Camp (HSC). We never really see the HSC guys, because they're all high adventure-y and secluded. Eddie and I work for CRC which, confusingly enough, operates a mini camp inside of it Iron Wheel Mesa (IWM). More on the Mesa later. So essentially there are two camps, River and Horseshoe. They are bitter rivals. And etc. The moral of the story, if we talk about Cima, we work there. If we talk about River, we work there. If we talk about Horseshoe, we're referring to a group of cromagnon apes who operate a proximal, inferior camp.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Colin and my if-we-met-would-be-friend Eddie~

Wow. I love blogs. I love camp. I love being in contact with the most missed person in CStat.

I so look forward to the awesomeness that is these future blog posts.

~kisses, the fridge